The first Washington Heights Library opened in 1868. The library moved twice before a generous gift from J. Hood Wright, a New York philanthropist, made its collection available free of charge to all residents of Washington Heights. In 1914, the library moved to its present quarters at 1000 St. Nicholas Avenue. The four-story, brick structure designed by Carrère and Hastings, houses an adult, young adult, children’s, and reference collection. A multi-use auditorium is available for community group meetings as well as library programs.