Opened in 1906, the Muhlenberg Library is one of the 65 branches built from funds given to New York City by Andrew Carnegie. Designed by esteemed architects Carrere and Hastings, the library has served the Chelsea area for nearly a century. The branch—an elegant three-story, brick and limestone structure—is named for William Augustus Muhlenberg, the first rector of Chelsea’s Church of the Holy Communion. As rector, he donated many books to the Free Circulating Library, which later became part of The New York Public Library.
In 2000, when the branch was renovated through the Library’s Adopt-a-Branch program, care was taken to preserve the historic character of the building. The refurbished branch has adult and young adult areas on the main floor; a children’s room with a story-hour space on the second floor; and, on the third floor, a community room for public programs and meetings. The branch is fully accessible to wheelchairs. An audio induction loop and FM assistive listening devices are available in the 3rd floor community room for people with hearing loss.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.