Designed in the style of an Italian palazzo by the esteemed architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White, the Hamilton Grange Branch was opened in 1907 with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie. The roots of its name date back to 1802 when Alexander Hamilton moved his family into a country house he called The Grange in the then-rural outskirts of New York City. Declared a landmark in 1970, the branch houses a variety of collections that serve an ethnically diverse community. Hamilton Grange offers programs for adults, teenagers, and children; provides lifelong learning materials for new adult readers; and has meeting space for use by neighborhood groups. The branch is fully accessible to people who use wheelchairs.