The Epiphany Branch of The New York Public Library, once part of the Cathedral Library Association founded by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, has served the Gramercy Park-Stuyvesant Town area since 1887. The current Epiphany Branch building, an elegant Carnegie Library, opened on September 29, 1907. It was a major neighborhood cultural and educational source until 1982, when it was closed for nearly two years for an extensive expansion and renovation; the restored library opened on July 16, 1984.
Today, the handsome three-story building, fully accessible to people who use wheelchairs, houses adult, young adult, and children’s collections. A modern auditorium, available for community group meetings and library programs, is located on the third floor. In 2007, the children’s room was completely renovated to increase shelving, add additional computers, and create a read-aloud area. The renovation was made possible through a generous gift from Felix G. Rohatyn in honor of his wife, Elizabeth.