The Highlawn Branch expanded from its storefront home, opened in 1949, to an adjacent store in 1956, and then to its current building in 1972. It features a circular main room with walls of glazed block in a variety of colors, a design departure for Brooklyn libraries. The branch was renovated in 2005-06 and its new features include carpeting and enhanced lighting to make the branch brighter and more inviting. A new toddler space features special seating and computers for children birth to 5 years. There is also a new relaxing space for the general public which includes comfortable, low seating and tables.