The Eastchester Branch of The New York Public Library began serving the Baychester and Williamsbridge sections of the Bronx in 1950, when it was housed in the Eastchester Gardens Housing Project. In August 1985, the modern 7,500-square foot structure opened in its present location on East Gun Hill Road at the corner of Knapp Street. The one-story facility houses adult, young adult, and children’s collections. An auditorium is available for community group meetings. The branch is air-conditioned and fully accessible to people who use wheelchairs.