Livingston, Staten Island (History)

neighborhoods_staten_island_livingston_300x300Livingston is a name sometimes applied to the northeastern portion of West Brighton, a neighborhood located on the North Shore of the New York City borough of Staten Island.

 

HISTORY

One of the first Europeans to settle the area was Francis Lovelace, the second governor of the New York colony, who in 1668 started farming in the area that would become Livingston. The original name for the district was Elliotville, after a renowned ophthalmologist, Samuel MacKenzie Elliot, who by 1840 had acquired more than 30 homes in the community. The present name of Livingston was coined by officials of the Staten Island Railway who bought the mansion of resident Anson Livingston and then gave that name to a station built near the current intersection of Richmond Terrace and Bard Avenue. This station was situated on the now-defunct North Shore branch of the railway, on which passenger service ceased in 1953; the tracks on this branch are still there, but all traces of theLivingston station have been removed, as is the case with the two other former stations on either side (Sailors’ Snug Harbor and West Brighton).