To the east of Grant City lies Midland Beach, and a high cliff to the west of Richmond Road separates Grant City from Todt Hill. New Dorp is situated immediately south of Grant City. Dongan Hills is situated to the north.
Originally known as Frenchtown, the community was renamed in honor of Civil War General Ulysses S. Grantsoon after the conflict began, despite the fact that the war itself was so unpopular on Staten Island that the island was the scene of anti-draft riots in July 1863. Many of the streets are named after historical figures such as Lincoln Ave (after President Abraham Lincoln), Fremont Ave (after General John C. Fremont who was the first Republican candidate for President, as well as a Staten Island resident, in 1856), Adams Avenue (after President John Adams), Colfax Ave (after Abraham Lincoln’s first Vice President)and Greeley Ave (after newspaper editor Horace Greeley). Many other streets were originally named after historical figures but those streets have been renamed.
Many small, one-family homes were built in Grant City in the 1950s, with a stronger growth spurt occurring after the opening of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in November 1964 made access to the island from Brooklyn much easier. Today the neighborhood’s population is heavily Italian-American by ethnicity and Roman Catholic by religion, and many of its residents were born in Brooklyn. Grant City and the neighborhoods surrounding it are also very conservative politically, withRepublican Party candidates for most elected offices.