Report Building Conditions (NYC)

Written by keith
Share This Page

Report Repairs That Need To Be Made In A Privately-owned Building

lightbulb_300x300Owners of privately-owned buildings are required by law to maintain apartments in habitable condition and provide tenants with heat during the winter heat season (October 1 through May 31) and hot water 365 days a year. These standards are enforced by HPD’s Division of Code Enforcement.

In the event of an apartment maintenance deficiency (including lack of heat or hot water), a tenant should first attempt to notify the building owner, managing agent or superintendent. If the condition is not corrected, the tenant should call the City’s Citizen Service Center at 311. 311 is open 24 hours per day, seven days per week (for hearing-impaired tenants, call 212-504-4115 via a Touch tone Device for the Deaf TDD).


Report Repairs That Need To Be Made In A New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA)-managed Building

Tenants in NYCHA buildings should report repairs to their management office and fill out a work ticket. For more information call 311.


Report Repairs That Need To Be Made In A Housing Preservation & Development (Hpd)-managed Building

Tenants should report apartment maintenance issues to 212-694-2381. For repair emergencies after hours and on weekends, tenants should call 311 and ask for the HPD Central Complaint Bureau.

During Heat Season (October 1 through May 31), staff are available in the Area Offices for extended weekday and weekend hours.

Share This Page